The PlayStation Vita has been the subject of much attention in the gaming community, and for good reason. This feature-packed handheld gaming device is capable of a comprehensive range of applications, all while offering some of the best graphics and sound the industry has to offer.
In addition to 3G and Wi-Fi capabilities (if you choose to get the upgraded model), the PlayStation Vita has a cross-platform play feature as well as built-in front and rear cameras, motion sensors, a responsive touch screen and even GPS capabilities. It has earned favorable reviews for being light, with a highly sensitive direction pad and excellent graphics. The Vita also has a powerful and intuitive operating system and excellent graphics.
On the down side, its batteries cannot be replaced on the fly, leaving you to plug in or power off if the unit starts to run low on its charge. Its front and rear cameras also offer only mediocre picture quality. Overall, though, this is an excellent handheld gaming system that deserves its reputation as an industry leader.
Offering cutting edge gaming thanks to its top of the line processor, the Nintendo 3DS is the ideal option if you’re looking for a portable gaming console with a complete range of additional features. Beyond offering some of the best graphics and gameplay in the industry, the Nintendo 3DS takes excellent pictures, has a high-quality built-in photo editor, and even offers 3D capabilities.
Its drawbacks are few, but one significant shortcoming is that it is not compatible with Bluetooth technology, which somewhat limits its playability. On the whole, though, the Nintendo 3DS is without question one of the finest products on the market and will provide hour after hour of enjoyment and entertainment for a very reasonable price.
- Weight: 8 ounces
- Display: 3.53 inch, 800 x 240 pixel upper 3D display; 3.02 inch 320 x 240 pixel lower display
- Battery life: Up to 5 hours when fully charged
- Wireless connectivity: 2.4 gigahertz
- Game card: Nintendo 3DS game card
While this product is primarily marketed as a portable music player, it also allows you to play all the latest iPod games in a compact and stylish package. Like other Apple products, the iPod Touch benefits greatly from an extended battery life, and it is one of the most environmentally friendly consumer electronics on the market. However, it does not have a built-in camera, which detracts from its overall versatility.
- Size: 4.3 x 2.4 inches
- Display: 3.5 inch LCD touch screen
- Audio: supports AAC, Protected AAC, MP3, MP3 VBR, Audible 2, Audible 3, Audible 4, Apple Lossless, AIFF and WAV file formats
- Video: supports MPEG-4 and H.264 playback
- Connectivity: USB, docking connector, earphone jack
- Software: iTunes, account for the iTunes store
- System requirements: Windows Vista, Windows XP, Mac OS-X (version 10.4.10 or later)
PlayStation Portable (PSP) Go
The PSP Go offers the ultimate in gaming portability. It is one of the lightest portable consoles on the market, yet sacrifices nothing in terms of graphics quality to achieve its feathery weight. However, the portability does come at a cost, as some users experience difficulty using its controls given the product’s small size.
- Size: 128 mm x 69 mm x 16.5 mm
- Weight: 158 grams
- CPU: PlayStation Portable CPU (runs at a frequency of 1 to 333 megahertz)
- Memory: 16 GB (expandable)
- Display: 3.8 inch, 16:9 aspect ratio 480 x 272 pixel LCD display
- Sound: Stereo speakers
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth