Top DSLR Cameras
Helpful DSLR camera reviews for consumers
Digital single lens reflex or DSLR cameras are usually preferred by professional photographers. What makes an SLR camera different from a standard camera is the use of a penta-prism and a mechanized mirror to direct incoming light to an optical viewfinder. The SLR system gives the photographer more control over the image capture process and typically results in higher-quality images.
The advanced technology used in DSLR cameras is recommended for photography enthusiasts and professionals. If you have no need for these high-end features, you may be better off saving some money and purchasing a point and shoot camera instead.
If you’re looking for professional cameras, consider these models:
With a high end optical viewfinder that provides complete frame coverage, 14-bit analog to digital conversion and the famed EXPEED 2 image capture technology, the Nikon D7000 takes perfect pictures in all lighting conditions. Numerous built-in shooting modes allow you to take professional-quality pictures in controlled settings, and this camera has ISO setting as high as 25,600 with little noise. It is easy to use, durable and lightweight, and can also capture HD video. It is extremely versatile, both in terms of its image capture capabilities as well as its controls and settings, offering wireless commander input.
The one major drawback of this camera is its relatively short camera battery life. Its DX imaging sensor is also on the small side, being slight in size as you might expect from an entry level DSLR camera. Its compatibility with numerous memory cards and the outstanding quality of its images makes up for these shortcomings, though.
- 16.2 megapixel resolution
- 23.6 x 15.6 mm CMOS sensor (DX sensor format)
- Image area: 4928 x 3264 pixels (large format)
- Shooting speed: 6 frames per second (burst mode)
- Maximum shutter speed: 8/1000 seconds
- LCD: 3 inches
- Maximum vertical video resolution: 1080
- Battery life: 850 images
Canon EOS Rebel T3i
Canon’s Rebel line has earned a great deal of praise from both industry insiders as well as professional photographers. It offers outstanding image quality, lots of built-in filters, full high definition video recording, quick auto-focusing and HDMI output. This camera is also very well-designed, with a swiveling LCD image display panel and excellent hand grips.
On the down side, its frame rate is somewhat slow, so if you’re using the image burst feature to capture images in a fast-paced environment, you may find this camera a little lacking. It also lacks a micro-focusing feature, and some users complain that it tends to overexpose pictures taken in direct sunlight.
- Type: AF/AE DSLR, built-in flash
- Recording media: SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards via external or wireless media
- Image format: 22.3 x 14.9 mm
- Lens mount: EF mount (Canon)
- Sensor type: High-resolution, high-sensitivity, single-plate large CMOS
- Effective pixels: 18 megapixels
- Digital zoom: 3x to 10x (in movie model)
Canon Rebel T2i
DSLR camera reviews of the Canon Rebel T2i lauded it as one of the top products on the market…until the company came out with its new EOS Rebel T3i. Still, if you are looking to save a little bit of money and you don’t need all the advanced and improved features of the EOS Rebel T3i, this earlier model still makes a fine choice.
- Body Type: Compact DSLR
- Effective pixels: 18.0 megapixels
- Sensor: 3:2 aspect ratio APS-C CMOS Digic 4 22.3 x 14.9 mm
- ISO: Automatic, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12800
- Screen: Fixed 3 inch TFT color liquid crystal LCD
- Shutter speeds: 1/4000 second (maximum), 30 seconds (minimum)
- Flash range: 13 meters (approximately 40 feet)
This affordable camera is an excellent choice if HD moviemaking interests you. It also offers excellent photography features, which are competitive with comparably priced DSLR cameras. While it is one of the top-performing models in its price range, this camera is recommended for entry level SLR photographers only.
- Lens mount: Nikon F (bayonet mount)
- Effective pixels: 16.2 megapixels
- Sensor: CMOS DX sensor, 23.6 x 15.6 mm
- Image area: 4928 x 3264 pixels (large)
- Card slot: 1 SD
- Mirror type: Quick return reflex